The Secretary to the Federal Government, Senator Anyim Pius Anyim has revealed the concept of the “Millennium City” as part of the Nigeria centenary celebration.
The SGF disclosed that “One of the endearing legacies of the celebration shall be the development of a Centenary City in Abuja. The City is conceived to focus the attention of the investing world to Nigeria in a way that has never been done before. The successes of such cities as Dubai, Monaco, Shenzhen, Singapore and lately Songdo have shown that development of certain class of cities is the strongest social, political and economic tool to securing Foreign Investment, promoting positive international attention and indeed signaling a new national economic awakening. The Citypromises to be one of the most outstanding legacies of the Centenary.
The Centenary City is a new “smart city” to be built from scratch on more than 1,000 hectares of virgin land in Abuja making it the second but largest “private city” development in history, after Sonqdo International Business District in South Korea. The land for the Centenary City shall be acquired in accordance with the FCT Land Swap Agreement.
The Centenary City shall be designed by a reputable world-class design team as a contemporary efficient “mixed-use” city with emphasis on modernity and Nigeria’s unique cultural heritage. The aim is to synchronize the demands of today’s society and the expectations of tomorrow and materialize the vision into a working scheme that allow for the City to develop in a sustainable, ecological and socially responsive manner. The City will demonstrate the harmony between nature and the work of man to create a solid example for the future of urban development in Nigeria and indeed the world and also reinforce our collective destiny towards the next one hundred years. The City, like Dubai, Monaco, Shenzhen and Songdo, shall signpost the Nigeria of the future. The City shall promote leisure, tourism, commerce, ‘sports and will have a 20% residential component.
The City is also conceived as a centre for the preservation of Nigeria’s political history and documentation of her contributions to the political, cultural and economic development and the advancement of peace and security in the world, as well as the hub of economic activities.
The goal is to create a new City, a modern urban centrality for the sustainable development of this magic land, where natural beauty and architecture icons must merge together to create an environment that is alive and productive. The City will re-introduce Abuja to the world with the following features:
- A GREEN CITY - with a natural buffer that envelopes the entire City and encircles the central neighbourhood that protects and nurtures the whole with world-class public facilities;
- ZERO WASTE MANAGEMENT - The City will aim at reducing waste to zero. Domestic waste will be used to create nutrient-rich soil, fertilizer and incinerated as an additional power source. Other wastes such as plastics and metals will be recycled or re-purposed for other uses;
- A CENTRAL PARK - that provides the green-spirit which gives orientation, clarity and iconic power to the City as a whole but most powerfully to the City Centre.
- FLEXIBLE TOPOGRAPHIES - that are all conceptually related to one another so that they can be placed together to create a rich, elegant, textured and vibrant City.
- AN URBAN GRID - super-block system that is modular and organic,yielding a resulting grid of arteries, streets and pathways with an efficient traffic system where pedestrians, bicycles, motorcars, trams and monorail can co-exist in a friendly human way;
- INDEPENDENT POWER SOURCE - With a gas-fired 500MW power plant connected directly to a gas terminal, constant power supply to the City can be taken for granted.
- WATER MANAGEMENT - Planned in an environmentally sound manner where approximately 60 percent of the water used will be recycled and waste water reused as many times as possible.
- PUBLIC AREAS - A prominent cultural core with various symbols of Nigeria’s Unity and Strength, Parks, Galleries etc.
- COMMERCIAL - Exquisite Office Towers, Exotic Hotels, Magnificent Shopping Malls, Imposing Expo/Convention Centre, Cozy Theatres and Cinemas;
- RESIDENTIAL - Elegant High-rise Apartment & Apartment Towers, Single Family Houses, Semi Detached Houses, Row-Houses, Apartment Blocks;
- CIVIC - Primary & Secondary Schools, University Campus, Health Centres, Health Farms and Theme Parks;
- INSTITUTE OF SPORTS - Sports shall be given prominence in the City with top-of-the range sporting facilities, which shall include a signature golf course.
- SPORTS HOSPITAL - A modern sports hospital that will be on the cutting edge of sports medicine and providing 5-star level services The Sports Hospital will offer state-of-the-art diagnostic tools and services
- BUSINESS CENTRE - A preferred destination for multi-national and domestic businesses. It is expected that the top most corporate bodies in Nigeria will have their show rooms in the City.
- PRESIDENTIAL ARCHIVES - To house the history of our political development and the contributions of our Presidents and the Nigerian Institute of Federalism.
- PRESIDENTIAL RETREAT - An alternative operational base for the President.
- A NEW CEREMONIAL ARCADES (UNITY SQUARE) - To compliment the Eagle Square to add colour to Government ceremonies and activities.
- NEW ABUJA CITY GATE - A magnificent and awe-inspiring architectural masterpiece that will eloquently introduce the Centenary City and welcome visitors to Abuja.