Tuesday, February 18, 2014

PHOTOS- Obasanjo arrives Rivers State on ‘working visit’

 
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has declared that he is still very relevant in Nigeria politics despite rumours that he wants to opt out.

Obasanjo also cleared the air on the controversial popular comment he made during a campaign in Port Harcourt for the 2007 gubernatorial election in Rivers State, where he said the situation in the state as at then had “K-leg”.

He said there is always something peculiar about politics in Rivers State.

Former President Obasanjo made the disclosure during his working visit to Rivers State.

He affirmed that he was amused when the lower

court dismissed Amaechi’s suit but that he was glad when the Supreme Court upheld that Amaechi is the authentic Governor of the state.

While appreciating the courage of Amaechi, he advised him to continue to take every necessary action that will better the lives of Rivers people.

“As a leader, when I have something that requires action, that action must be taken, if not, I am not a worthy leader. Amaechi did what is required in a democratic dispensation and now that ‘K-leg’ has been straigthened.

“I am one of those who when he got the verdict, I found it awkward. I didn’t voice it out publicly but I found it awkward. Awkward in the sense that how can someone that did not contest an election win an election and become the governor without been voted for.

“I was amused about it and then he took it to the Supreme Court and he won at the Supreme court; as far as I am concerne,d that is the end of the matter. If anybody is not satisfied, then they have to wait for the judgement of the supreme being.

“So the k-leg has been straightened. He contested again in 2011 and he won overwhelmingly with a landslide. Then what is the problem about k peg again?”



Obasanjo also recounted the time Amaechi changed the name of a road former Governor of the state, Peter Odili named after him.

“Some people asked me not to come because when he became Governor, he canceled the road they named after me. I don’t work so that people can name roads after me.

“I work so that the world will remember me. But I want my name to be written on the hearts of Nigerians and people all over the world.

“Even if he decides not name a road after me, what is the quarrel? Why should I quarrel about it? Rotimi, with all due respect, there is something you must learn from me”.

He commended Amaechi for the quality he put into constructing the Nne Furo Korubo Model Secondary School saying that the facilities in the school could be compared to those in the Universities.

“I have heard. I have come here to see and I
have started the process of declaration. Without prejudice, this auditorium can be compared to any auditorium in a tertiary institution in Nigeria and even in the world.


“Rotimi, If we want leaders with ideas not with ghetto mentality, we must train them in places like this.



 
 

No comments: