A few days ago, we heard that Meriam Ibrahim, the woman sentenced to death in Sudan for apostasy will soon be freed after the country's Foreign Minister Abdullahi Alzareg was quoted as saying that Sudan was committed to protecting the woman. But according to new reports, that's not happening as the Foreign Minister is now saying quotes attributed to him was taken out of context.
The country has officially denied that Meriam would soon be released. Now they are saying Meriam's release will depend on whether a court accepted an appeal request made by her defence team.
A ministry statement said what Alazreg actually told media on Saturday was "that the defence team of the concerned citizen has appealed the verdict ... and if the appeals court rules in her favour, she will be released" and not that she will be released by the government because 'the government does not interfere in the work of the judiciary because it is an independent body."
Follow us On Twitter
2. Kim Kardashian & Kanye West planning THREE Ceremonies!
3. Special Photos: Tiwa and Teebillz get ready to tie the knot tomorrow in Dubai
4. PHOTOS: Stunning bride: Tiwa Savage.
5. Photos from Alvan Ikoku's son's wedding
6. Official photos from Ohimai Amaize and Tessy Oliseh's wedding